Saturday, June 20, 2009

Slum Dog Hockey Clap



Today was a day I was looking forward. This was the day I was able to meet with the young men and women that are being assisted through the Bhagya. I met with 17 young adults from age 17 to 20 (12 men and 5 women). It was an incredible time for this Nebraska kid. Again, a surreal moment that I was in a Bangalore India city park playing games and having conversation with a group of young adults from the slum areas of the city. As I said it was incredible. We played some games (Dog and the Bone and Cho- Ko). Both games are locally played so I had to learn something new. I was able to teach them something -- the hockey clap. We did a rousing round of 3 claps following the games.

More importantly, I was able to talk with each young man and share my principles for success. I hoped to share with them that they should live with at least 3 criteria. I tried using a phrase I use with my kids (no lying, cheating, stealing, and especially no hitting people with fishes) that usually gets a laugh from my kids, but these guys were intent on my words and did not realize the fish hitting part was funny. I hoped they did learn to reject passivity, accept responsibility, and lead courageously. I gave them a fourth one as well, which was to follow God. My prayer is that the words shown light into their hearts. I did get many promises from the men that they would email me and keep me up to date with their schooling and lives. I really hope that happens. In case your wondering about the girls, my friend Andrea was able to speak many many good words and life lessons. I didn't hear it all, but I am confident that Andrea provided hope and confidence to the young women.

The men's names are Satish, Raja, another raja, Kathik, RanJeeth, Sam, Balchandar, Hazarath, Prabakar, Yesuraj, Sham, Shiva. The women's names are Priya, Soni, Shalini, Pushparani, Aninamma. I doubled my friends in Bangalore in one day! Life is good.